Thursday, September 24, 2009

Authenticity

I believe authenticity is extremely important when it comes to teaching. There are very few measurable rewards as a teacher, so you have to really like your job and want to teach. Teaching seems like it will get very tedious and stressful, so if you really do not enjoy it, then it will show. So I feel you have to be authentic in your teaching, for your sake and for the students. I dont think there are boundaries for being authentic; why would there be? Unless I am misunderstanding the question. Can you be too genuine about something?
It seems pretty easy to tell when a teacher is not authentic about teaching. They will not appear like they want to be there, or want to give their all to the class. On the other hand it is not all that difficult to fake authenticity. So I guess it could be difficult to notice if a teacher is not authentic. Its a lot like the question "what does good teaching look like?" It may go hand in hand with that question too. Good teaching requires authenticity; both are hard to describe, but you know when they are present. If a teacher is fake, they will probably appear sappy. The result of this will probably be poor learning and the students will not have the desire to learn or even go to class.
This is a tough topic to put into words, but I feel authenticity is vital in being a successful teacher. There is a fine line between genuine and overdoing it. I cannot say for certain what the consequences of this would be however, because I do not think I ever had an inauthentic teacher, or else they covered it really well. Not sure how I feel about this topic..

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment