Thursday, October 22, 2009

Inventiveness

After watching the video about creativity in schools, I agree with Ken Robinson that there is not enough emphasis on creativity for today's students. There should be more appreciation for creativity, however it is much more difficult to evaluate than traditional learning styles. Most creative work is subjective; one person may think it is very well done and some else may think it is trash. Also, many students feel that they are not creative, myself included, and some students who can come up with ideas out of thin air, which could lead to students feeling that school is unfair. Therefore I feel many teachers are deterred from incorporating creativity into the classroom. On the other hand I think there is still opportunity for creativity at school. Students can take art classes or add on to class projects.
I feel that creativity is a very important skill for the 21st century. For many careers we will have to be able to think outside of the box, or do something extraordinary. Even though I feel that creativity exists in today's schools, I feel that there could be much more emphasis placed on it to help prepare students for the real world. Students also have to take it into their own hands and make the most of opportunities to be creative.

-mike

No comments:

Post a Comment