Sunday, December 6, 2009

Efficacy

I believe self efficacy and respect are closely related in teaching. A teacher with little self awareness and confidence will have trouble earning the respect of their students. A teacher that has little confidence may come off as incompetent and a student will not want to learn from them because they will feel that they already know more than the teacher. I have faced this scenario in my education, and I struggled to give the teacher the time of day because it feels as though you are being told what to do by someone less mature or less qualified than yourself. I believe you must work hard to be a respected teacher, and to create a successful class environment. With anything in life, not just teaching, you must put work into anything you try to accomplish in order to achieve it satisfactorily. As for the question of "how to develop these attributes" I do not think there is a correct answer. I struggle with this, and if I didnt, I would gladly tell you my secret. I think it is different for each person, and some people naturally have higher self efficacy than others. Of course people can increase their self esteem and confidence and I believe it is related to successes. Find something you are good at and can succeed at. Every time you are successful you will see your self as more competent and increase self respect. As a teacher I think it is important to help students with low self esteem by presenting oppurtunities through schoolwork to succeed and reaise their self esteem. Like I mentioned however I do not think there is a recipe for success for every single person. But I will keep looking...

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment