Monday, December 7, 2009

Humility

The timing could not be better for this topic. The last time I was wrong was this past weekend; and I was definitely wrong. I guess its more correct to say that I still am wrong. A friend of mine was drinking at a party and her actions reflected. She never truthfully did anything wrong, but it just began to bother me. Eventually I started talking to her about it and things escalated quickly, which was no one's fault but my own. I said things that I should not have, and we have yet to made good following this. It is worse because we fight so often, its almost as if we are dating, which many people think we are...but are not. I definitely was wrong in getting mad about this, I just cannot help but stirring drama and fighting, even without reason. I feel so childish when reflecting on this...The worst part is I cannot bring myself to admit my errors and make amends because I am immature and weak; and I hate myself for it. There is a lot more to our relationship which I do not want to get into, but only acknowledge that this is completely my fault. I realize that ideally and correctly I need to talk to her about this and admit I was in the wrong. However It will take time for me to work this out and admit to her that I was wrong, for deeper reasons than I am willing to discuss.
I feel that humility is very important in the classroom because a teacher must be able to admit when they are wrong. If a teacher is wrong and refuses to admit, the students will recognize this and whether they realize it is because of ego, it will affect their respect towards the teacher. When you know someone is wrong and they refuse to acknowledge this, it only divides the two parties. Humility strengthens relationships; relationships that are necessary in te classroom for effective teaching.
I believe that in general humility is a very strong characteristic of mine and that the fight I talked about earlier is an isolated case. I recognize that I need humility in this situation and in time it will come. I also recognize that at times I do struggle to deal with being wrong. Truthfully, in regards to this subject, I believe I will be prepared when I begin teaching or when I need it in my life.

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment